before the world cup will eat up most people’s leisure time schedule it is time to celebrate what else is good about life. and big parties are ahead!
- of course, holland festival continues. one of the highlights takes place on thursday (june 12),when the one-time-only performance of “20 pianos” hits bimhuis. the virtual concerto by matthew herbert brings together, indeed, 20 pianos from all over the world – including the one on which john lennon composed “imagine”.
- for foodies, thursday might be more interesting as the kick-off day of het hoofdgerecht, a four-day festival at the westerdok. food trucks, djs, theater – and even a show by, wait for it, wait for it: pro wrestling holland! cheapskates visit sunday, when entrance is free. find the full line-up here!
- on friday, it is finally time for the first part of radion to upon its doors. the premises of the old acta building will host the binnenplaats festival to introduce the public to the new cultural hub that will come into full bloom only in september when the dust has settled after all the refurbishing of the remaining floors.anyway, binnenplaats festival features live music, an art market, performances, films, a fashion show, bodypainting, hoolahooping and whatnot. of course, the biggest game of the world cup’s preliminary rounds – spain vs. the netherlands! – will be shown on the big screen from 9 pm, before djs and vjs take it away into the night. not – to – be – missed! (full list of happenings here)
- no rest for the wicked, as saturday sees the festivities for the 150-years-anniversary of the city’s beloved vondelpark. starting from 12 pm, amsterdam’s own central park will turn into an even more colorful playground than usual, with classical concerts and silent disco for the music afficionados, a bootcamp for the crazy sport people, and the biggest picknick of the netherlands for absolutely everybody. oh and the wonderful paul thomas sanders plays a gig at paradiso!
- finally, on sunday, vondelpark is home to another festive act: the opening of the artzuid junior art exhibition (running through august 23). students created 20 sculptures that are supposed to tell the history of vondelpark. hm. the opening will be attended by the city’s mayor and the royals prince maurits and princess marilene, yet is open to the public.